Workers vote on three-year contract at Caressant
Members working at the Caressant Care Retirement Home in Fergus ratified a three-year collective agreement on May 26, 2010.
- Wages increase by 1 per cent as of January 31, 2010 with subsequent increases of 1 per cent in January 2011, a further increase of 1 per cent again in December 2011 and 2.5 per cent in January 2012.
- The company will contribute 64 cents per hour toward the Canadian Commercial Workers Industry Pension Plan (CCWIPP) and 34 cents per hour, an increase of 21 cents, toward the CCWIPP Stabilization Fund.
- Contributions to the workers’ dental plan increase to 36 cents, up from 34, following ratification and to 37 cents in January 2011.
- Workers required to use their own vehicles for work purposes receive 30 cents per kilometre, up from 25 cents.
- Family Day has been added as a paid holiday.
- New language establishes call-in procedures and previous experience will be considered when placing new employees on the wage grid.
- Improved language permits up to two employees paid time off at any one time to attend union conventions or education sessions.
- Bereavement language now includes same-sex partners, step-parents and step-children.
- Other improvements address shift change,
- The employer agrees to not schedule any shifts, except current Activity Department shifts, less than four hours.
Union Negotiating Committee: Brenda Montgomery, Denise Preston and Union Rep Rob Nicholas.