New members approve first contract unanimously
In addition to general contract language establishing the rights of the Union as a bargaining agent, the members benefit from the following:
- All workers employed as of ratification receive a signing bonus of $200
- Those workers above the grid rates receive a lump sum equivalent to 2 per cent of their annual earnings in the year leading up to the employee’s anniversary date. Those approaching their first year anniversary date receive this lump sum less the $200 signing bonus above.
- Any worker reaching the maximum grid rate for their classification during the life of the agreement will be eligible for the 2 per cent lump sum payment.
- Workers scheduled to begin their shift between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. receive a premium of 30 cents per hour for all hours worked on that shift.
- Workers receive five paid sick days per year.
- The health and welfare coverage includes Life Insurance and AD&D of $25,000 each, major medical, drug card and vision care of $250 per 24-month period as well as a dental plan with a $1,500 annual maximum.
- Full-time employees may contribute 1 per cent of their wages toward a group RRSP. Those who choose to contribute receive an additional 1.5 per cent contribution from the company.
- Grievance and arbitration procedures giving workers the ability to enforce the terms of their agreement.
- Language establishing seniority, job posting procedure, layoff and recall, leaves of absence and hours of work.
- There are 10 paid holidays listed in the contract including Family Day.
- Vacation entitlement is established providing a maximum of four paid weeks off for those with 10 years of service or more.
- The employer will provide a safety footwear allowance of $40 per 12-month period.
- Language establishes a Labour Management Committee, which will meet quarterly to discuss pertinent issues.