Ratified contract for retirement care workers
January 28, 2011 at 1:28pm
The 23 members of the bargaining unit at Caressant Care Retirement Home in Listowel have ratified a renewal collective agreement. At a vote held January 26, 2011, the workers secured the following improvements:
- Wages improve across the board by 2.25 per cent in the first year, 2 per cent in the second year and 2.25 per cent in year three.
- In addition, the Dietary Attendant receives a wage adjustment and the company agrees to recognize previous experience for Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) with respect to wages.
- Prescription eyewear coverage improves to $225, up from $200, per 24-month period.
- Contributions to the workers’ dental plan increase.
- Paid vacation improves to provide seven weeks at 14 per cent after 28 years of service.
- Bereavement leave entitlement increases to five days, up from four.
- Improved language addresses scheduling, employer paid doctors’ notes, stewards, call-in, and health & safety.
- The gas allowance increases.
Union Negotiating Committee: Ginny Parkhouse, Katie Wedge and Union Rep Rob Nicholas.