Retail grocery workers have new deal
- Full and part-time end rates increase by 35 cents per hour retroactive to November 7, 2010.
- Workers at the end rates receive subsequent increases of 30 cents per hour in November 2011 and another 30 cents per hour in November 2012.
- In each of the final three years of the contract term, full and part-time workers at the end rate receive lump sum payments equivalent to 50 cents per hour worked.
- Vision care coverage improves to provide $200 every 24 months.
- Contributions to the workers’ pension plan increase over the contract term by a total of 25 cents per hour worked.
- Sick leave for full-time workers improves to 48 hours per year effective January 2012.
- Family Day is now included as a paid holiday.
- Vacation entitlement improves to provide four weeks at 8 per cent, after 10 years’ service and part-time can accrue up to 8 per cent vacation pay, up from the previous 6 per cent cap.
- Bereavement leave improves to provide five days paid leave, up from three, for the death of an immediate family member.
- New language establishes that 40 per cent of bargaining unit work will be full-time hours.
- Language improvements address health and safety and guaranteed hours for part-time.
- The workers’ safety boot allowance increases to $75 per year effective ratification and to $85 per year effective January 2012.
Union Negotiating Committee: Rick Lefriend, Johanne Melko, Aadm Souliere, Servicing Rep Jacques Niquet and Chief Negotiator Paul Hardwick.