- This event has passed.
Obey all school bus safety rules!
September 5 @ 8:00 am - September 18 @ 5:00 pm
Obey all School Bus safety laws: Help ensure students get to and from school safely.
With the start of a new school year, we all need to remember to do our part, slow down, and pay attention around school buses and in school zones.
- At your children’s school, make sure you’re familiar with the rules for drop-off and pick-up.
- If you’re driving behind a bus, you MUST come to a complete stop at a safe distance when the bus’s upper red lights flash and its stop sign is extended.
- Drivers travelling in either direction on a road with no median must stop for a stopped bus. That means if you’re on a four-lane highway with no physical division between the
directions, you MUST stop if a bus is coming toward you and puts on its flashing lights. Do not move forward until the bus’s lights have stopped flashing and the bus begins to
- If you pass a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing you can be charged between $400 and $2,000 plus six demerit points for a first offense.
- If you drive through a school zone on your commute, please slow down! School zones have lower speed limits, usually marked between 30 and 50 kilometres per hour, and
are often increased fine zones, especially before and after school.
Students have responsibilities in School Bus safety too.
- Be on time and wait at a safe distance from the road for your bus.
- Walk 10 big steps from the front of the bus to cross the road.
- Always cross the road in FRONT of the bus – never cross behind.
- Look all ways for traffic before crossing, and look to the driver for a signal that it is safe as well.
- While on the bus, students need to remember that their driver needs to concentrate in order to get all the students to their school safely. Behave.
On behalf of the more than 460 UFCW Local 175 Members at First Student and Leuschen Transport, thank you!
Have a great school year!