RNs approve new contract
On March 10, 2010, the 16 Registered Nurses who make up the bargaining unit at Dr.’s Paul & John Rekai Centre andWellesley Central Place in Toronto ratified a new two-year deal. The following improvements were secured in the new contract:
- Wages increase by approximately 6 per cent over the two-year term with improvements to shift premium pay as well.
- Improved health and welfare provisions include new hearing aid coverage, improved short-term disability and increased optical coverage.
- Improved health and safety language addresses safe employee workload and promotion of health and safety measures.
- Language improvements address grievance procedure, steward representation and enhanced representation during discipline meetings.
- Important new provisions state that violence that occurs in the workplace must be reported to the Union.
- The employer will contribute to the Local 175 Training & Education Fund.
Union Negotiating Committee: Glenda Idolor, Rhoda Viernes and Union Rep John DiFalco.