Workers at The Wellington approve contract
The new contract at The Wellington Nursing Home in Hamilton, ratified on May 10, 2010, achieves a number of improvements to the workers’ current contract. The one-year deal, which is retroactive to June 1, 2009, means the 135 members of the bargaining unit benefit from the following:
- Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) receive an increase of 53 cents per hour retroactive to June 2009. Effective January 2010, the RPN rate is adjusted by $1 per hour for all grid levels.
- All other classifications except Hairdresser receive an increase of 40 cents per hour retroactive to June 2009.
- Hairdressers receive a lump sum payment of $150.
- The company will now contribute 25 cents per hour toward the Canadian Commercial Workers Industry Pension Plan (CCWIPP) Stabilization Fund.
- Dental plan contributions increase to 38 cents per hour going forward.
- Improved language establishes that employees called in will be paid starting at the beginning of the shift they are filling provided that employee arrives within a ½ hour of the start of the scheduled shift.
- New language considers recent and related experience when hiring RPNs and part-time workers who become full-time will carry 50 per cent of their seniority.
- The employer will contribute $300 to the Local 175 Training & Education Fund.
Union Negotiating Committee: Hyacinth East, Lin Deveau and Union Rep Tim Deelstra.