Grandview Lodge workers gain in new contract
The 120 health care workers at Grandview Lodge in Dunnville have a new three-year collective agreement. Workers ratified the new deal on June 18, 2010, and it includes the following improvements:
- Wages increase by 2 per cent in each year of the contract with the first increase retroactive for hours worked since January 1, 2010.
- Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) receive a responsibility premium of $1 per hour for hours worked, as assigned, in the absence of the Registered Nurse (RN).
- The night shift premium increases to 60 cents per hour, up from 50 cents, when the majority of hours worked fall between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. – effective January 1, 2011.
- The weekend premium increases to 50 cents per hour and the on-call maintenance person receive an improved daily premium of $12, up from $10, both effective January 2011.
- Vision care coverage improves to $300 per 24-month period effective January 2012.
- Bereavement leave improves to provide five paid days leave for the death of a spouse, child or step-child, effective January 1, 2012.
- When scheduling Christmas and New Year’s vacation, the employer will endeavour to provide those who work Christmas Day and Boxing Day with both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day off, and vice versa, and schedule the reverse for the following year.
- New language addresses availability of part-time Laundry Aides & Housekeeping Aides and other language improvements cover call-ins, leaves of absence, seniority and overtime.
Union Negotiating Committee: Jim Fleming, Judy Hare, Kathy Robins, Barbara Wolf, Kathy Sitter and Union Rep Tim Deelstra.