Firestone Textile workers secure new contract
Members working at Firestone Textiles secured their new four-year collective agreement at a ratification meeting on December 15, 2010. Workers will receive the following improvements:
- Members receive a lump sum payment of $500 at date of ratification and in each subsequent
- year of the agreement. Members who are on layoff as of date of ratification will also receive the lump sum payment at the time of recall.
- Workers with approved time off will no longer be mandated to work during their vacation period.
- The employer agrees to pay $1,000 to the Training and Education Fund, up from $500.
- Negotiated enhanced severance language providing two weeks pay per year of service with no minimum and no maximum.
- Paid time off for the Chief Steward to perform Union business.
Negotiating Committee: Chris Keeler, Jason Kramer, Ian Patterson, Chris Simmons, Garth Sutherland and Union Rep Rob Nicholas.