Great Lakes Elevator Has New Deal
A settlement was reached between the Union and Great Lakes Elevator and as of April 1, 2011, members have a new three-year collective agreement.
The company is adding a part time workforce, which previously did not exist. The new agreement protects current full time members, stating that new part time employees cannot be given jobs ahead of the existing workers, nor can the full time employees be reclassified as part time workers. In addition to this, part time employees will be laid off before a full time worker’s hours are reduced or they are laid off. Full time workers are also given priority for recalls from layoffs.
Other achievements included:
- $0.35 raise each year plus a $1,000 signing bonus per member.
- 12 hour shift – to be paid at 1 ½ x rate after 8 hours and 2x rate after 12 hours.
- There will be a $2.00 per hour premium for the night shift (7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.)
- Bereavement language expanded to add common law spouse; step-parent; step-child; one day for niece, nephew, aunt or uncle of member’s spouse. One day can be used for interment at a later date.
- Improved Health & Welfare language
- No reduction to current Benefit Plan
- UFCW Charity Fund
- Clarification for part time seasonal worker
The Negotiating Committee consists of Mike Morrison, Mike David and Union Representative Roy Reed.