What is Just Cause protection?
One of the most basic rights when you belong to a Union, is that you cannot be fired for no reason.
It’s called Just Cause protection and it’s one of the benefits of being a Union member.
Just Cause is a legal term that means there has to be a justifiable reason to fire someone. All agreements at UFCW Locals 175 & 633 have this benefit and protection for Union members.
What does job security bring?
- Less stress! You have reliable income and work hours.
- Did we say less stress? You can plan your finances, your vacations, and more when you’re not worried that you won’t have a job to go to tomorrow.
- Improved health. If you’re less stressed, your health is better.
- Improved job performance. Funny huh? Workers who are less stressed do better work. Imagine that!
From retail workers to delivery drivers, fast food employees to building service providers, if you don’t belong to a Union, your job security can be fragile.
As precarious work and temp agencies become more common, having a stable job is more important than ever. Just Cause is just one of the ways belonging to a Union can get you some job security. Many agreements negotiated at UFCW Locals 175 & 633 have specific language to deal with agency work. This helps stop agency employees from replacing unionized employees. It protects the unionized workers jobs.
Really, job security is everything.
Without a Union, workers do not benefit from this protection. Out there, in the non-Union workforce, employers can fire you for pretty much anything as long as it doesn’t violate your Human Rights.
As long as you’re doing your work and not violating your terms of employment, there can be no reprisals against you. If an employer terminates a Union employee for no real reason, that employee can file a grievance. The burden of proof is on the employer to provide a justifiable reason to fire someone.
Just Cause doesn’t mean that you can do anything you want and not be fired. But, it does mean that the employer has to prove they have a good reason to let you go.
So, just Cause means the employer must prove the fired employee did something to violate the agreed terms of their employment.
This kind of Job Security is just one of the protections that comes from being a Union member.
In fact, as soon as you start an Organizing Drive to bring the benefit of Union membership to you and your co-workers, your jobs become protected. Your employer cannot fire you for taking part in a Union drive or Union-related activities. UFCW Locals 175 & 633 follows through with the Ontario Labour Relations Board with charges against employers who violate your rights in this way.
One organizing drive in October 2017 saw 15 employees fired for their Union activities. UFCW Locals 175 & 633 won these workers their jobs back, if they chose to return to the employer. Read about it here.
Want to find out more about how to become a Union member with UFCW Locals 175 & 633?
- Contact our Union Organizers! Ask questions and discuss your concerns. Your conversations with our team are confidential.
- Sign a confidential UFCW Locals 175 & 633 Union card. Speak to your co-workers about signing a card too.
- Vote to have UFCW Locals 175 & 633 be Your Union.
- Participate in creating your first UFCW Locals 175 & 633 collective agreement. Elect a negotiating committee, make proposals, and most importantly, VOTE.
Our team can answer any questions you have about how to join and what to expect. Your conversations with our team are confidential. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-565-8329 and ask to speak to our Organizers.
Check out all the workers who voted Union Yes to joining UFCW Locals 175 & 633.