Day of Mourning April 28, 2019
Check back soon for events happening across Ontario to commemorate the 2019 Day of Mourning.
In 2017, there were 291 work-related fatalities in Ontario. This included:
- 6 people under the age of 25,
- 37 from respiratory diseases,
- 9 from intra-cranial injuries,
- 59 from traumatic or multiple traumatic injuries,
- 10 from traumatic bone, nerve, and spinal cord injuries, and;
- 167 cancer-related deaths.
From being struck by an object, to falling, getting caught in equipment, to motor vehicle accidents — most of these deaths were preventable.
Please take care and all required precautions in and around the workplace.
Keep an eye out for hazards. Report hazards, and all workplace injuries and illnesses to your supervisor and to your Union Steward or Health & Safety Rep.