Is WSIB related to the Union?

May 11, 2018 at 11:35am

The Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB) is an independent institution that processes claims and provides compensation to workers who are made ill or injured while at work. Participating employers are required to submit regular payments to the WSIB, which then acts as a sort of insurance for workers. Injured workers must submit claims to the WSIB to be eligible to receive compensation.

You can visit the WSIB website at:

If you’ve been injured or made ill through work, make sure you follow the procedure to file a claim with the WSIB and pay special attention to timelines. Your Union Rep or Steward can help you through this process.

You should file a claim if you’ve been injured or made ill at work. Many workers do not file claims and that only benefits employers. Your employer cannot tell you not to file a claim.

At UFCW Locals 175 & 633, we have dedicated workers compensation specialists to help our Union Members through the WSIB process.

If you receive a denial for your injury claim from the WSIB or if you are having trouble in a return-to-work process or with accommodation, make sure to contact our Workers Comp Reps at or 1-800-267-1977.

This service is FREE to UFCW Locals 175 & 633 members and is one of the benefits of belonging to our Union.

For more information on the WSIB process and what to expect, visit our Workers’ Compensation section.